CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

MY SEXY NAME

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Vanity Is the First Thing to Go

I watched Michael J. Fox on Oprah yesterday and was truly moved. He has had Parkinson's Disease for 19 years and was on the show explaining the obstacles and hurdles, as well as the triumphs he has had throughout this period in his life. As he was speaking, one thing stood out in the conversation and that was the comment made "vanity is the first thing to go." I was so shocked to hear this, but totally agreeable, that I decided to look inward and determine how I view vanity.

As I was doing my own soul searching, I realized that I really haven't let go of that feeling of worrying how outsiders view me and my disability and I realize I may be holding on, to my own detriment. This view is also affecting my life and who I may ask for assistance in helping me do tasks. I am now on a quest to let the vanity go, and do the things that I must do to improve my life and become a better and more independent person.

Another interesting thing Michael said was "failure keeps up from doing things." This hit extremely close to home. I am terrified of failure. I mean failure at anything, and this injury really has NO tolerance for fears, so I must nip this fear thing in the bud. To be honest, there are days when I feel like I haven't come to terms with my disability and this denial may affect my progress and rehabilitation because of the fear. Don't know why I'm writing about this now, but better late than never, and I'm about self-improvement.

0 comments: